Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Kentucky Down Under

What a fun day!!! Teresa has done a wonderful job of thinking of fun ways to entertain the kids and I can't tell her how thankful I am!! Thanks Teresa!!! We went to "Kentucky Down Under." It is a little piece of Australia located in the little down of Horse Cave, KY. It was a two day pass, so we went on Monday and then went back on Tuesday and took GG with us. When you first enter the park, you get to go and hand feed birds. The birds just flock to you as soon as you open the door and sit on your hands. I had a difficult time taking pictures because the birds were landing on my camera (too bad I didn't have someone to take a picture of that!). The birds were really sweet and didn't bite at all.
There is all kinds of animals native to Australia to see. We got to go on a walk-a-bout and pet kangaroo and emu. Nana was holding Madi while we were walking and Madi informed her, "Nana, you can put me down, that chicken (referring to the emu) won't get me." Below is a picture of Madi's "chicken."
There was a reptile show. We (not meaning me...meaning the kids and nana) pet the lizards and green boa. I was busy taking pictures, so I missed that one...too bad...maybe next time. NOT!! I was surprised that the kids weren't afraid to pet them. It was fun to watch.They also had an area called the "Woolbarn." All kinds of fun things happen at the Woolbarn. We got to watch a border collie herd sheep before we entered the barn. Once inside the barn, the guides brought in different types of sheep and a cow (which took care of his "outside business" inside...stinky!!!). The kids milked the cow and then got to go and pet the sheep. Madi went to pet the sheep (brown and white, pictured with Austin) and it proceeded to head butt her. I guess the sheep was threatened by Madi's beauty. Madi burst into tears and caused quite a stir and luckily we didn't leave with a bruise...just a funny story!




There was a place to pan for gold.
And another feeding cage for birds. These birds weren't as nice as the first. They would snip at you and try to take the cup from your hand. We didn't stay in there for very long.
So all in all, I must say that Kentucky Down Under was a huge success!!!

1 comment:

Kiera said...

Love the pics! Glad Madi is okay!! I guess she's probably scared of sheep now! :)